Acquiring data from the scanner and creating a virtual 3D representation of an object is the primary function of the OpticalRevEng Dental software.
For additional information about the Step-By-Step Wizard, check the Wizard Acquisition page.
In a Structured Project outside the wizard, there are 3 procedures to acquire data from the scanner.
This is the easiest way to acquire data, and the most used:
- Put the object inside the scanner on the appropriate model holder
- In the Project Tree, select the object to scan
- Click the Acquisition icon on the Main Toolbar
The scanner will then acquire the object using the strategy of the selected element and the status of the Project Tree will be updated.
An addittional dialog will allow to choose a different strategy and a color for the object that needs to be acquired
If the Dynamic Articulation Module is enabled and in use, the software will remind the user to scan the jaw on top of the adequate base.
The base to be used depends on the type of articulator chosen in the project definition.
To acquire multiple dies in a single scan, even from both jaws at the same time, using the multi-die support:
- Select from the Project Tree all the dies to be scanned
- Click the Multi-Die Acquisition button that will appear on the Main Toolbar. At least 2 dies have to be selected in the Project Tree
- Put the dies in each space of the support, as shown by the software in the top right window, and put the Multi-Die support inside the scanner
- Click the Start Acquisition button
The scanner will acquire the data, identifying every single die and updating the status of the Project Tree
To acquire a single 3D image, and not a 360° object reconstruction (for testing or to acquire a big articulation in a small scanner):
- Put the object inside the scanner, in the best possible way
- Use the Single Acquisition tool
The software will carry out a single acquisition without moving the motors system
After an object has been acquired in the scanner, there could be the need to add further information to the starting scan. For example, part of the object may be missing due to shadows or because the acquisition strategy has not covered a specific point of view.
In order to integrate additional information, use the Integrate Acquisition button on the Main Toolbar. This will launch the Integration Mode, providing 3 different integration tools. It is possible to switch from one tool to another. Confirm the modification with the Apply button or discard it with the Cancel button.
It is possible to add an unlimited number of acquisitions but adding to much data could slow down the project and increase the project disk size.
The single integration mode allows to add information from a specific point of view. To add information:
- Rotate the 3D view so that the screen will show exactly the part of the object to be integrated
- Click on the Start Integration icon
If the object is not in the original scanning position, the software can not correctly integrate the information. It is possible to try to fix this problem using the Calc Integration Position button.
The Custom mode, instead of scanning one position at a time, allows to create a costumized sequence of positions and then the scanner will carry out all the acquisitions together.
To add a position:
- Rotate the 3D view so that the screen will show exactly the part to be integrated
- Click the Add Position button
To remove a position:
The full integration is the easiest mode: it allows to select as many positions as needed and in which degree the plate must tilt to complete the image.
Then, by clicking the Start Integration button, the scanner will tilt the model and carry out a 360° acquisition using the selected number of positions.
When the Project Tree is created, the software will select a specific strategy for every element, trying to maximize the scan quality and saving space. To change the strategy of an element of the project:
- Right click on the element in the project tree
- Select Change Strategy
- Select the new strategy from the dropdown menu
Another scan of the object will be carried out using the new strategy instead of the old one.